Effecting my disguise

Published Categorised as Crafts No Comments on Effecting my disguise


Last Saturday me & Tukru decided to go to a party on a boat at the last minute. I saw that a friend of mine, Rob Bidder, who I hadn’t seen in person for a looong time, was doing some music at the event, and it would be good to see him, and the party looked like fun anyway. Being on a boat, and near Hallowe’en, the dresscode was aquatic, so I had to come up with something to wear in an afternoon (and Tukru in even less time). Good old Costumes for Plays and Playing came to the rescue. A fish hood/cape with scales for me, and a button-on mermaid tail for Tukru.

laid out fabric

I got some offcuts of fishy fabric, sequinned trim and some eyes from a local fabric shop. Total about £7. There’s 50cm of the sequinned stuff, and 25cm of the other stuff.

Fish 2

I cut a vague semi-circle of the silver fabric.

Fish 3

Then I cut rows of scallop-shapes of the gauzy fabric, and sewed them on. That gauzy stuff is a complete bugger to work with in small shapes. Then I sewed the sequin trim around the top edge, and the bias binding around the bottom edge, and then fixed the eyes on either side. I didn’t use the blue lace trim in the end. The whole effect was more glam-rock than I’d intended. I then wore my sailor dress and a silver lurex cardigan with it. I thought I had more photos of the costume actually on, but this is the only (not very good) photo of it.


Receive new posts via email. Your data will be kept private.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.