Here’s a dress I recently made. I’m not very practiced at taking photos of myself, I’m usually on the other side of the camera, and it felt very awkward (and that’s probably why I look so bad tempered). The remote control only cost £3, and has to be pointed directly at the camera, which doesn’t help. It also didn’t help that I don’t have any space to use the 50mm lens, so I had to use the 28mm, which is really not a good idea around faces, especially if you’ve recently been having sinus trouble like I have, with the resulting puffy hamster face. None of the photos facing front were at all to my liking, and the ones from the back just emphasised my scoliosis, so you’re not seeing those either. I still need to finish off the hem and the sleeve edging, I prefer to slip-stitch those by hand.
I made the pattern myself. I had this vintage dress I bought in 2001 and wore to death. The fabric started disintergrating, so I unpicked it, and traced it to make a pattern. The original had a draw-string neck, which I never liked, so I turned it into a gathered, darted neckline on the pattern. The patterned fabric was a remnant from Fancy Moon, with a lining of plain black cotton from a local place. I only had 1.5m of the mushroom fabric, so I had to be very careful about laying and cutting the pieces to make sure I could match the pattern and fit everything on the fabric. For reference, I’m 5ft8 and medium-sized. If I make another from this pattern with a lining, I’ll probably add a little more ease into it.
Here’s a photo of me from 2007 wearing the original dress, from when I used to participate in the Document a Day project.
To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: