Here’s a playlist I made while I was in Melbourne of (mostly current) Australian stuff I heard played in various shops and cafes. Daytime Australian radio is where cock rock goes to die, and keeps Midnight Oil forever living off royalties, but I definitely didn’t go there with this playlist.
1. Streets of Your Town- The Go-Betweens
2. Dead Radio– Rowland S. Howard – for some reason this disappeared from the playlist and I had to add it back. Rowland is elusive.
3. Let It Happen- Tame Impala – the softboi favourite
4. French Press- Rolling Blackouts CF
5. Don’t Dream It’s Over- Crowded House – As soon as I named the playlist ‘Australia’ Spotify started pushing cheesy 80s songs at me. I felt I should include one, so here it is.
6 Pedestrian at Best- Courtney Barnett
7 Garlic Soup- Loose Tooth
8 Don’t Bother Me– Scott & Charlene’s Wedding – surely the most Australian band name possible?
9 Glass– Total Control I saw Total Control playing support to Thee Oh Sees, and they totally blew them off stage
10 No Accent – Diät Australians living in Berlin, affiliated with Total Control.
11 Hot Heads– Terry
12 You’ve Got a Million– Primo