These are some silly collages I made 9-10 years ago for my friend Katie’s zine. She found them recently and scanned all the bits. It’s a real gourmet recipe.
Here’s a real cake recipe, because someone asked me the other day how I make icing. (Everyone seems to like my icing). I put it in the typical grrls zine last time, and a back issue of my own zine but I might as well put it here too.
180g self-raising flour
180g organic unrefined sugar
(the flavour is better)
180g baking margarine
3 free range eggs
good slosh of vanilla
(buy the real one, not artificial, it’s so much better)
pinch of salt
lots of icing sugar
150g cooking margarine
teaspoon of milk or soya milk
Preheat the oven to 180.c
1) Mix the sugar, margarine and vanilla together until they’re a nice fluffy cream. An electric mixer is very useful for this.
2)Add the eggs and mix to a smooth cream
3) Sift the flour in and mix until the cake mix is a light fluffy paste, raising and lowering the whisks to add air to the mixture. You should only mix it for about 2 minutes max, overmixed cakes go claggy. If your mix is too thick, add a teaspoonful or two of milk or soya milk to dilute it.
4) Spoon the mix into cake cases and bake until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean.
5) Leave to cool on a wire rack.
6) When cakes are cool, put the margarine into a bowl, and mix in the vanilla.
7) Add icing sugar two tablespoons at a time until the icing can’t physically absorb any more icing sugar. The icing mix will be a little too stiff for spreading.
8) Add a spoonful of milk or soya milk and mix to a smooth but thick consistency.
9) Spread icing on the cakes and leave to set.
To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: